directory-users mailing list archives

From "Athar Shiraz Siddiqui" <atharshi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unable to Create Suffix
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 02:19:16 GMT
On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
>>
>> I am using winxp (/vista on another machine). I am using apache
>> directory studio to do the editing etc.
> Good ! Which version ?

Latest one at this point Directory Server: 1.5.4

>> I am attempting to create a new suffix besides : "dc=example,dc=com"
>>

> On ADS, I presume ? Which version ?

Direcrtory Studio 1.3

> Seems ok, assuming that the '--' are not part of the ldif file.

"--" is not part of the ldif file.

> Using Apache Directory Studio, just right-click on the RootDSE, select the
> first entry in the menu (New Context Entry) and add a new entry from
> scratch. It should work.

I tried it and that is giving an error too:

Error while creating entry
[LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]
  [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]

>> I try to use the GUI and right click on the connections->properties
>> and expand the ROOT DSE and I cannot see the view described in the
>> image below the lines "If you connect with an LDAP Browser (Apache
>> Directory Studio for instance), the partition is only visible in the
>> Root DSE. Below the Properties dialog of Directory Studio for the Root
>> DSE after connecting to an ApacheDS instance configured like above."
>>

> You have to look at the namingContexts attribute when clicking on the
> RootDSE entry. It should contains your partition suffix.

There is no namingContexts attribute. Infact what is shown is not even
remotely like what is portrayed in the screenshot.

There is no "raw" tab when I click on root dse.

> Plain normal, for the very same reason : the associated context entry has
> not been created - yet.

How would i create that? I went to import ldif and then navigated to
the conf file and ldif in C:\Program Files\Apache Directory
Server\conf

But the import is not registering or showing anythign here.

I also go to C:\apache_ds_tutorial.ldif

and try to upload the ldif but to no avail. Any idea what is going on?

Wait a second as I was working all of a sudden dc=example, dc=com
showed up! what a surprise. Now I would like a similar thing working
please except instead of dc=example i would like it to be
dc=somethingelse, dc=edu etc. is it possible to do that if i just
find/replaced everything in the ldif and imported it? will that work?

BTW I went to this directory : C:\Program Files\Apache Directory
Server\instances\default\partitions and i see sevenseas there so
something worked!
I just cant see it in my studio. Even though i imported the ldif file

dn: o=sevenSeas
o: sevenSeas
objectClass: top
objectClass: organization

and restarted the server.

didnt see that appear at all.

>> As you can see I was only trying to add ou=people.
>>

> Which is not possible if you don't select a full DN for this elements.
> Creating a ou=people,dc=example,dc=org will work.

Ok how do I do that? As I said I selected ou=system and then right
clicked and copied the entry dn. Then I pasted it under Root DSE
 (after selecting root dse)

I am given an error saying that ou=system already exists and so I try
to rename it by doing "rename entry and continue and put in ou=people
in the interface. Then i click ok and I get:
Error while copying entry
[LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]
  [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]

How do I specify dc= example and dc=org?

How is example  and org even relevant sine  believe system is not even
connected to that partition or suffix at all.

Now that i have dc=example dc=com showing I right select it, right
click and copy entry / dn and then paste it and I get this error :

Error while copying entry
[LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.25=example
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: domain
    objectclass: top
    dc: example
: dc=example]
  [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.25=example
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: domain
    objectclass: top
    dc: example
: dc=example]

> Because the associated context entry does not exist (starting from 1.5.4,
> this is the way the server behaves).

Can we have archives of the oder versions pls. not that it would make
it any user friendlier but ....

>> 2) I cannot add a suffix
>
> I have tested it, with Studio, and it works well. Just check that following
> the steps I described you still have the same issue.

I have the same issue. What is that step? add partition info to
server.xml and then import ldif?  As I said I tried it with sevenseas
and then with the apache_ds_tutorial.ldif but it didnt work.

I would prefer to wean away from the examples and create my own suffix please.

> 2) Eventually, contribute to a better documentation, as it's a volunteer
> effort...

I will write up my own docs but I first i would like to make this work.

> OpenLDAP, OpenDS, FedoraDS, MandrivaDS, Microsoft AD, you have a lot of

Openldap does not work with windows. I hope the above work with
windows.I will look them up.