directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unable to Create Suffix
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 01:22:27 GMT
Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
> I am using winxp (/vista on another machine). I am using apache
> directory studio to do the editing etc.

Good ! Which version ?
> I am attempting to create a new suffix besides : "dc=example,dc=com"

On ADS, I presume ? Which version ?
> I am using directions here :
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/144-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html
>
> i tried to add another suffix so now my C:\Program Files\Apache
> Directory Server\instances\default\conf\server.xml file looks like
> this :
>

>     <partitions>
>       <!-- NOTE: when specifying new partitions you need not include those   -->
>       <!-- attributes below with OID's which are the system indices, if left -->
>       <!-- out they will be automatically configured for you with defaults.  -->
>       <jdbmPartition id="example" cacheSize="100"
> suffix="dc=example,dc=com" optimizerEnabled="true"
>                      syncOnWrite="true">
>         <indexedAttributes>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.1" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.2" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.3" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.4" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.5" cacheSize="10"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.6" cacheSize="10"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.7" cacheSize="10"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="dc" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="ou" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="krb5PrincipalName" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="uid" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="objectClass" cacheSize="100"/>
>         </indexedAttributes>
>       </jdbmPartition>
>  <jdbmPartition id="sevenSeas" suffix="o=sevenSeas" />
>     </partitions>
>
> When I go through the Directory Studio to try to view this I cannot.

So far, so good. And you can't see it as you have to create the
associated context entry (something you are trying to do just after ...)
> So I stored this in an ldif file :
>
> --
> dn: o=sevenSeas
> o: sevenSeas
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organization

Seems ok, assuming that the '--' are not part of the ldif file.

Using Apache Directory Studio, just right-click on the RootDSE, select
the first entry in the menu (New Context Entry) and add a new entry from
scratch. It should work.
> --
>
> Then i tried to import the ldif file but i get the error:
> Error while importing LDIF
> Record is invalid
>   Record is invalid
>
> I try to use the GUI and right click on the connections->properties
> and expand the ROOT DSE and I cannot see the view described in the
> image below the lines "If you connect with an LDAP Browser (Apache
> Directory Studio for instance), the partition is only visible in the
> Root DSE. Below the Properties dialog of Directory Studio for the Root
> DSE after connecting to an ApacheDS instance configured like above."

You have to look at the namingContexts attribute when clicking on the
RootDSE entry. It should contains your partition suffix.
> I also cannot see ( dc=example, dc=com ) even though right under neath
> the "DIT" node the Root DSE node says "Root DSE (3)"

Plain normal, for the very same reason : the associated context entry
has not been created - yet.
> So again I try to create a copy of the ou=system. I right click on
> ou=system and try to copy Entry / dn and try to paste that and just
> use the object (not entire subtree). I get the following copy entry
> error :
> Error while copying entry
> [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
> ClientEntry
>     dn: 2.5.4.11=people
>     objectclass: organizationalUnit
>     objectclass: extensibleObject
>     objectclass: top
>     ou: people
> : ou=people]
>   [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
> ClientEntry
>     dn: 2.5.4.11=people
>     objectclass: organizationalUnit
>     objectclass: extensibleObject
>     objectclass: top
>     ou: people
> : ou=people]
>
> As you can see I was only trying to add ou=people.

Which is not possible if you don't select a full DN for this elements.
Creating a ou=people,dc=example,dc=org will work.
> So the problems currently are:
> 1) I cannot see dc=example, dc=com

Because the associated context entry does not exist (starting from
1.5.4, this is the way the server behaves).
> 2) I cannot add a suffix

I have tested it, with Studio, and it works well. Just check that
following the steps I described you still have the same issue.
> Someone please update the docs
We do what we can to get the doc updated, considering we have a limited
amount of time to dedicate to the server. Right here, it's sunday, 2:20
am, and I have to wake up in less than 6 hours for my day job. The best
I can tell you is that if you think the doc is not good enough, or
outdated, the best way to get it fixed is :
1) Fill a JIRA to be sure that it will be fixed asap, and not forgotten
in the pile of mail we have
2) Eventually, contribute to a better documentation, as it's a volunteer
effort...
> and make them more updated and / or
> give me the link to a directory server that is not so difficult to
> manage.

OpenLDAP, OpenDS, FedoraDS, MandrivaDS, Microsoft AD, you have a lot of
possibilities out there. But again, even if I understand your
frustration, you have to understand that we are doing our best, which
obviously is not enough, but, eh, we are not perfect, and we are doing
that on our own time.
> Thanks.

Thank you !

cordialement, regards,