Hi,

I seem to be having problems with the performance of my LDAP repository. This is my first play with LDAP, so please excuse my complete "novicedom". I'm hoping either you can help me or point me out the way to find help... I don't seem to be getting the information I need on the apacheDS site (or google for that matter)....

I am running ApacheDS 1.5.0. I have created a schema/heirarchy using the attached LDIF files. I have an application which is inserting the "PAMUser" class, and this works successfully many times. However after adding just a few thousand entries the performance slows down to being unusable. I need to be able to add the order of hundreds of thousands of entries.

Obvious solution (to me anyway) is to add an index. I have attempted to add an index in my server.xml by doing the following:

<jdbmPartition id="amway" cacheSize="100" suffix="o=amway" optimizerEnabled="true" syncOnWrite="true">
        <indexedAttributes>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="dc" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="ou" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="o" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="objectclass" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="uid" cacheSize="100"/>
        <!-- my new index -->
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="Username" cacheSize="100"/>
        </indexedAttributes>
</jdbmPartition>

But this stops the server from starting up. I check the log file and I get this error:

[05:54:11] ERROR [org.apache.directory.daemon.Bootstrapper] - Failed on null.init(InstallationLayout, String[])
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultDirectoryService.initialize(DefaultDirectoryService.java:1350)
        at org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultDirectoryService.startup(DefaultDirectoryService.java:840)
        at org.apache.directory.server.configuration.ApacheDS.startup(ApacheDS.java:126)
        at org.apache.directory.server.Service.init(Service.java:86)
        at org.apache.directory.daemon.Bootstrapper.callInit(Bootstrapper.java:151)
        at org.apache.directory.daemon.TanukiBootstrapper.start(TanukiBootstrapper.java:51)
        at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager$12.run(WrapperManager.java:2788)

I've tried various different interpretations on the index definition (using the attribute oid instead of name, etc) but it all seems to give me a similar error.

Have you any ideas to help me out please?

Thanks,

Ben