directory-users mailing list archives

From Ben_Bl...@amway.com
Subject Problems Indexing
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:21:34 GMT
Hi,

I seem to be having problems with the performance of my LDAP repository.
This is my first play with LDAP, so please excuse my complete "novicedom".
I'm hoping either you can help me or point me out the way to find help...
I don't seem to be getting the information I need on the apacheDS site (or
google for that matter)....

I am running ApacheDS 1.5.0. I have created a schema/heirarchy using the
attached LDIF files. I have an application which is inserting the
"PAMUser" class, and this works successfully many times. However after
adding just a few thousand entries the performance slows down to being
unusable. I need to be able to add the order of hundreds of thousands of
entries.

Obvious solution (to me anyway) is to add an index. I have attempted to
add an index in my server.xml by doing the following:

<jdbmPartition id="amway" cacheSize="100" suffix="o=amway"
optimizerEnabled="true" syncOnWrite="true">
        <indexedAttributes>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="dc" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="ou" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="o" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="objectclass" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="uid" cacheSize="100"/>
        <!-- my new index -->
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="Username" cacheSize="100"/>
        </indexedAttributes>
</jdbmPartition>

But this stops the server from starting up. I check the log file and I get
this error:

[05:54:11] ERROR [org.apache.directory.daemon.Bootstrapper] - Failed on
null.init(InstallationLayout, String[])
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultDirectoryService.initialize(DefaultDirectoryService.java:1350)
        at
org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultDirectoryService.startup(DefaultDirectoryService.java:840)
        at
org.apache.directory.server.configuration.ApacheDS.startup(ApacheDS.java:126)
        at org.apache.directory.server.Service.init(Service.java:86)
        at
org.apache.directory.daemon.Bootstrapper.callInit(Bootstrapper.java:151)
        at
org.apache.directory.daemon.TanukiBootstrapper.start(TanukiBootstrapper.java:51)
        at
org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager$12.run(WrapperManager.java:2788)

I've tried various different interpretations on the index definition
(using the attribute oid instead of name, etc) but it all seems to give me
a similar error.

Have you any ideas to help me out please?

Thanks,

Ben