directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] 1.5 for Production?
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:34:01 GMT
Rajagopalan, Nithya wrote:
> After quite a bit of analysis, we are seeing that ApacheDS1.5 is easy to use for most
of our requirements like being java-based, supports standalone and embedded mode and the backend
can be extended as customized code (not DB).

cool !
> But the basic question is can ApacheDS 1.5 be used for production?
There is no way we can answer such a question : there are so many
factors ! Moreover, this is an open source software : you have the best
possible solution, assuming you have made your own tests to guarantee
that it fits your need.

However, it's stable, and some people are using ADS in production. I
personally use it to manage access to many kind of resources, it's
running for 3 months now, and it works just fine (ie, I don't have to
take care). Now, it's probably not the kind of usage you might think of.
> Are there any performance figures available for standalone mode and embedded mode(in
any web server)?

The last tests we have done, 5 months ago, on a 8 way CPU, proved that
we were able to deliver around 13 000 random search requests per second,
on a 5 million base. On my laptop (centrino duo, 2Ghz), my own little
test (random searches for entries on a 10K entry base), I'm able to
deliver 3900 req/s (bind/unbind excluded).

hope it helps...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com