directory-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stefan Seelmann <>
Subject [Studio] Discussion about the release model
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:52:21 GMT
Hi Users and Dev,

Back in January 2008 we discussed in [1] about the release model of
Apache Directory Studio, whether we should have release candidates or
not. At that time we decided to introduce release candidates.

Now, almost one year later I think we should reconsider this decision.
Pierre-Arnaud and I discussed about the release model.

In 2008 we released the following versions of Studio:
1.1.0 RC1
1.1.0 RC2
1.2.0 RC1
1.3.0 RC1
1.3.0 RC2
1.3.0 (in a view days)

In the last vote about the final 1.3.0 release we discussed whether we
could just declare the 1.3.0-RC2 packages as 1.3.0 or if we need to
create new packages (with no code change, just new labels).

I think we could avoid such discussions if we switch back to the old
release model: Once we have enough new features we relaese a new x.y.0
version, Then if a major bug is reported we release a x.y.1 and x.y.2,
but only if necessary.

Pierre-Arnaud and I collected some arguments, please feel free to add
you own.

Pro RCs:
- helps to not release a really buggy final version
- better suits to common Open Source release model

Contra RCs:
- has less impact on the audience
- increases the number of release (which is time consuming)
- the feedback we've had from the RCs is very low, we've not received a
lot of jiras
- increases the number of uploads, downloads and space required on
apache and mirror servers and on the maven repository

I especially want to ask the users of Apache Directory Studio: Do you
use release candidates or do you wait for the final release? Do you
prefer to have one or two release candidates or doesn't it matter?


Kind Regards,


View raw message