directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to set ListenAddress
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:46:36 GMT
Hi,

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Fu-Tung Cheng <futung.cheng@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if it is possible to tell apache ds what listen address to use in
the case of a multihomed machine?

> I may miss something, but I don't know how you possibly can do that.
> We open a ServerSocket for accepting incoming requests, which is based
> on a port, not an address. The address is the server address ADS is
> installed on.
>
> So I guess you simply have to modify your system configuration so that
> your server IP address is what you want ADS to listen on.

I guess he means if it is possible to bind the server only to a specific
 local address, e.g. only 'localhost' or only to one specific network
interface. This could be useful if you don't want to make the directory
service visible to all network interfaces.

The ServerSocket class provides a constructor for that, see [1].

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1]
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/ServerSocket.html#ServerSocket(int,%20int,%20java.net.InetAddress)