directory-users mailing list archives

From "Tanja Ertl" <Tanja_E...@avid.com>
Subject RE: AbandonHandler
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:32:56 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for you explanations.
I was only thinking about the use case, where the request to abort has already finished normally
and was not abandon. In this case I would say it is only INFO message. It is just a matter
of timing.
In the case where the client tries to abort the same request twice you might be right, it
could be a warning, too.

Bye,
Tanja

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lecharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: Montag, 20. Oktober 2008 12:21
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: AbandonHandler

Tanja Ertl wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> >From time to time I can see the following log message in our ApacheDS log:
>

> "WARN [org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.AbandonHandler] - Got abandon request
from client (SOCKET, ...) but request must have already terminated.  Abandon request org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.message.AbandonRequestImpl@57f8ab81
had no effect."

> Am I right, that this only means, that the request, the AbondanRequest tries to abort,
has already finished?

yes.

FYI, this code has been completely revisited since 1.5.3, and the
messages are a bit better. basically, you have 5 different cases :
1) the request exists and is still running : it will be abandoned
2) the request Id does not exist any more (probably because the request
has finished) : you will get a warning ("AbandonableRequest with
messageId {} not found in outstandingRequests.", messageId)
3) the request is currently abandonned, but is still present (we just
flipped the flag, but the server is processing the abandon) : you will
get a warning message : "AbandonableRequest with messageId {} has
already been abandoned", messageId
4) If the request can't be abandonned (cf RFC 4511), you will get an
exception
5) Otherwise, the request will be simply abandoned.

> If yes, should it be a warn message then?

Well, IMHO it make sense to warn the admin that someone is trying to
abandon twice the same request. It likely to be the sign that a client
is trying to do something unexpected. But this is also something we can
discuss... Should it be INFO ?

(You can set the logs to avoid such warnings to be stored, if you think
it's a bit overkilling.)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com