directory-users mailing list archives

From "B G" <fitz...@gmail.com>
Subject [ApacheDS] Error logging
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:48:23 GMT
I use apache directory embedded in an application and I have recently
upgraded from version 1.5.1 to 1.5.4. I have noticed that there has been
quite a bit of change, but what I am questioning now is the change in
logging behavior. In the past I have had code which will do a lookup to see
if a context exists and then create it if not...this being the case on first
start. I see similiar code in the directory itself. In 1.5.1 this did not
result in errors being logged, but now it result in numerous stack traces
getting logged as errors. I can of course suppress these with logging
configuration, but I am forced to turn off error logging on some high level
directory classes that I hesitate to do, but the choice of having all these
stack traces logged in not desirable as well. It seems that if a lookup
fails this at most should be considered a warning with the appropriate
exception being thrown. I am curious as to the thinking behind this change.

Thanks...