directory-users mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] 1.5.3 install comments
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:44:43 GMT
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comments :)

More inline...

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Andy Jefferson <andy@datanucleus.org> wrote:

> I recently tried to upgrade to 1.5.3 (from 1.0.2). Some comments :-
>
> With 1.0.2 I installed using the "Basic Users Guide" from the docs, and
> since
> I was installing on Linux used the "apacheds-1.0.0-linux-i386-setup.jar".
> This worked fine.
> With 1.5.3 I thought I'd try the RPM. RPM installs fine. Sadly the "id"
> command isn't located for me. Would be nice if you'd check "/bin/id" since
> this is the location on Mandriva 200x.

I'm wondering what you mean by "isn't located". Does this mean that the post
installation shell script must not use 'id' but '/bin/id' ?

> The "Basic Users Guide" refers to this XXX-setup.jar file yet this isn't in
> evidence on the download page (for 1.5). Under "Starting and stopping the
> server" it goes on to describe the init.d start/stop process. This is
> incomplete with 1.5.x since you seemingly have to specify the instance
> (presumably in case there are multiple). Would be nice if the docs
> mentioned
> this fact. Would be better still if "default" was actually the *default*
> used
> by this command so there's no need to specify it ;-)

Yeah, the jar file is no longer available (but we deliver native and archive
installer instead) and the documentation is not really up-to-date...
Sorry about that... :(

You're proposal is interesting. Maybe it can be worth filing a Jira. I like
this idea of optional (with a default value if not passed to the command
line) parameter.

The "Basic Users Guide" goes on to describe how you'd set the port etc. It
> refers to some lines in server.xml, which don't exist (in 1.5.3). Perhaps
> it
> could either mention what they are in 1.5.3 if they have changed, or the
> provided server.xml would actually have some lines of that form (even
> commented out), otherwise people will think they've got the wrong
> server.xml
> file.

Once again. The website is not up-to-date with the latest release.
Thanks for the heads up.

We need to spend less time coding and more time on the documentation.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud