directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: YNT: Automatic Authentication
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:06:34 GMT
Tolga YURDAKUL wrote:
> Thank you for your quick answer.
> I am new to LDAP protocol so I may have expressed the situation wrong.
> But the only way I know the client gets the DN for a user is to bind as admin and get
the user DN from the server.
> So I need the admin password at the client side.
>
> My question is; how can I authenticate a user entering username and password at the client
side to an Apache Directory Server without using admin password?

Granted that the user knows the DN to use, then this DN will be the
username. To be clear, it all depend on the way you organize your data
into the LDAP server (and it's not only Apache DS, but this is true for
any compliant LDAP server, which AD is not).

Typically, you store users in a ou=users, dc=acme, dc=com branch
(assuming your organization is 'acme'). For instance, if your user name
is tyurdakul (first letter of your firstname, concatenated with your
lastname), you will store it as :

cn=tyurdakul, ou=users, dc=acme, dc=com

and this is what you will use to bind on the server, in combinaison with
your password.

What Alex explained is that if you want to use only your username, then
you need a thin layer on top of the server which will do the translation
from tyurdakul to the associated DN (cn=tyurdakul, ou=users, dc=acme,
dc=com). Pretty easy to develop.

Hope it helps.

> [...]
>> to the server, searches for the user entry using the username as a filter,
>> if the user exists the DN is drawn to the client and used in the bind
>> procedure with the password the user entered before.
>> This is a workaround we have to use for automatic authentication.
>>

> We could create an AD compatibility mode that can be toggled in the
> configuration to allow ApacheDS to relax these protocol requirements: that
> is to take a none DN of the bind principal.  This however would require some
> work on the protocol frontend and some other changes in the internals where
> bind requests are handled.
>
> To summarize we can support this but the man power right now is spread thin.
>

>> Is there a way to authenticate automatically to Apache Directory Server
>> directly with a logonname and a password just like it is with Active
>> Directory without having to use DN for authentication?
>>

> The short answer is no.  But as you see above it's a no brainer to implement
> this functionality.
>
> Alev
>

>> Tolga.
>> ######################################################################
>> Dikkat:
>>
>> Bu elektronik posta mesaji kisisel ve ozeldir. Eger size
>> gonderilmediyse lutfen gondericiyi bilgilendirip mesaji siliniz.
>> Firmamiza gelen ve giden mesajlar virus taramasindan gecirilmekte,
>> guvenlik nedeni ile kontrol edilerek saklanmaktadir. Mesajdaki
>> gorusler ve bakis acisi gondericiye ait olup Aselsan A.S. resmi
>> gorusu olmak zorunda degildir.
>>
>> ######################################################################
>> Attention:
>>
>> This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are
>> not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify
>> the sender. E-mails to and from the company are monitored for
>> operational reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
>> Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and
>> do not necessarily represent the views of the company.
>>
>> ######################################################################

> Dikkat:
>
> Bu elektronik posta mesaji kisisel ve ozeldir. Eger size
> gonderilmediyse lutfen gondericiyi bilgilendirip mesaji siliniz.
> Firmamiza gelen ve giden mesajlar virus taramasindan gecirilmekte,
> guvenlik nedeni ile kontrol edilerek saklanmaktadir. Mesajdaki
> gorusler ve bakis acisi gondericiye ait olup Aselsan A.S. resmi
> gorusu olmak zorunda degildir.

> Attention:
>
> This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are
> not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify
> the sender. E-mails to and from the company are monitored for
> operational reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
> Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and
> do not necessarily represent the views of the company.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org