directory-users mailing list archives

From Christian Fiebig <christian.fie...@gmail.com>
Subject [ApacheDS/Studio] Problems with special chars (german Umlauts)
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:31:11 GMT
Hi!

I'm testing ApacheDS 1.5.3 under Win2k3 at the moment (but also tried
this under XP and Vista 32bit). I also tried the Eclipse plugin and the
standalone version of Apache Studio.

My problem: some entries (sn, givenName and cn) contain special chars
like "ü", "ö".

For example:
I add an inetOrgPerson entry with the name "Wolfgang Kölbel" in Apache
Studio:

dn:: Y249V29sZmd[...]jPWNvbQ==
changetype: add
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: person
objectClass: top
sn:: S8O2bGJlbA==
cn:: V29sZmdhbmcgS8O2bGJlbA==

This works fine so far. The name is displayed correctly in Apache Studio
and on other clients.

BUT if i want to update oder modifiy this entry, i.e. add initials:

Error while creating value
[LDAP: error code 54 - failed to modify entry cn=Wolfgang
K\C3\B6lbel,ou=personen,dc=example,dc=com: Invalid value : Wolfgang Kö�l]
   [LDAP: error code 54 - failed to modify entry cn=Wolfgang
K\C3\B6lbel,ou=personen,dc=example,dc=com: Invalid value : Wolfgang Kö�l]

The really strange thing about this is, that other entries work! If the
guy's name is "Hans Müller" it works without any problems. It SEEMS that
the problem occurs when a "b" comes after or near to the special char -
but I'm really not sure on that...

The second problem is (and I think it's related to the first one):
If I export my entries (containing the special chars) they look like
this (except the xxxxx - of course...):

dn: cn=Wolfgang K\C3\B6lbel,ou=personen,dc=xxxxxxxxxxxxx,dc=de
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: top
cn:: V29sZmdhbmcgS8O2bGJlbA==
employeeNumber: xxxxxxxx
givenName: Wolfgang
mail: xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mobile: +49xxxxxxxxxxxx
sn:: S8O2bGJlbA==

When I'm importing this back the special chars are not displayed
correctly anymore - "Kölbel" is now displayed as "K\C3\B6lbel" (like in
the file) - only the base64(?) encoded values are still ok.

So it seems that there is a problem with the encoding!? Is it expected
that the exported files are ANSI and not UTF-8 encoded? But if so - why
it the DN not encoded like the other attributes?

Any ideas? :-)

Christian