directory-users mailing list archives

From "Tolga YURDAKUL" <cto...@aselsan.com.tr>
Subject YNT: Automatic Authentication
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:28:46 GMT
Thank you for your quick answer.
I am new to LDAP protocol so I may have expressed the situation wrong.
But the only way I know the client gets the DN for a user is to bind as admin and get the
user DN from the server.
So I need the admin password at the client side.

My question is; how can I authenticate a user entering username and password at the client
side to an Apache Directory Server without using admin password?

Tolga.

________________________________

Kimden: akarasulu@gmail.com bu kişinin yerine: Alex Karasulu
Gönderilmiş: Per 25.09.2008 17:05
Kime: users@directory.apache.org
Konu: Re: Automatic Authentication

Hi Tolga,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Tolga YURDAKUL <ctolga@aselsan.com.tr>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are comparing automatic authentication procedures with Active Directory
> and Apache Directory Server.
>
> With Active Directory;
> Automatic authentication is simple; you define a user with a "logonname"
> and use this logonname and a password for the bind procedure, which ends up
> successful if these two values match with the values stored in the server.

Note that Active Directory is a NOS directory.  AD intrinsically has a means
to either automatically find or map domain\username to some user entry.  I
guess this is what you mean by "Automatic Authentication".

This AD specific behavior is not part of the LDAP protocol.  The protocol
requires a DN for the bind DN.

> With Apache Directory Server;
> You have to use the users full Distinguished Name (DN) and a password for
> the bind procedure. since the user at the client machine cannot know his/her
> DN during the logon procedure, he/she enters a username and a password. The
> JNDI bind code at the client machine first authenticates as admininstrator
> to the server, searches for the user entry using the username as a filter,
> if the user exists the DN is drawn to the client and used in the bind
> procedure with the password the user entered before.
> This is a workaround we have to use for automatic authentication.

We could create an AD compatibility mode that can be toggled in the
configuration to allow ApacheDS to relax these protocol requirements: that
is to take a none DN of the bind principal.  This however would require some
work on the protocol frontend and some other changes in the internals where
bind requests are handled.

To summarize we can support this but the man power right now is spread thin.

> Is there a way to authenticate automatically to Apache Directory Server
> directly with a logonname and a password just like it is with Active
> Directory without having to use DN for authentication?

The short answer is no.  But as you see above it's a no brainer to implement
this functionality.

Alev