directory-users mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@datanucleus.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] 1.5.3 install comments
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:09:29 GMT
Hi Pierre-Arnaud,

>> I recently tried to upgrade to 1.5.3 (from 1.0.2). Some comments :-
>> With 1.0.2 I installed using the "Basic Users Guide" from the docs, and
>> since I was installing on Linux used
>> the "apacheds-1.0.0-linux-i386-setup.jar". This worked fine.
>> With 1.5.3 I thought I'd try the RPM. RPM installs fine. Sadly the "id"
>> command isn't located for me. Would be nice if you'd check "/bin/id" since
>> this is the location on Mandriva 200x.

> I'm wondering what you mean by "isn't located". Does this mean that the post
> installation shell script must not use 'id' but '/bin/id' ?

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. I was wanting to start the server using
/etc/rc.d/init.d/apacheds start default

and it fails. This is because of the following

    # Check the configured user.  If necessary rerun this script as the
desired user.
    if [ "X$RUN_AS_USER" != "X" ]
    then
        # Resolve the location of the 'id' command
        IDEXE="/usr/xpg4/bin/id"
        if [ ! -x "$IDEXE" ]
        then
            IDEXE="/usr/bin/id"
            if [ ! -x "$IDEXE" ]
            then
                echo "Unable to locate 'id'."
                echo "Please report this message along with the location of
the command on your system."
                exit 1
            fi
        fi

        if [ "`$IDEXE -u -n`" = "$RUN_AS_USER" ]
        then
            # Already running as the configured user.  Avoid password prompts
by not calling su.
            RUN_AS_USER=""
        fi
    fi

which indeed asks me to report the location of the "id" binary on my
system :-) Simple hack of that file allows people using Mandriva Linux to use
ApacheDS

I raised
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1249

--