directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS 1.2 underscore in attrib name problem
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:57:47 GMT
Martynas Brijunas wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> The fact that the DS is used in various environments is a testament to
> the versatility and quality of the code. Take any OS, plug DS into
> Eclipse and you have a first class LDAP browser. I would hate to give
> up DS just because I have to deal with OID. I simply have not found a
> better LDAP tool.

Thanks :) But Alex's feeling is just that, as he founded the Apache
Directory Server 6 years ago, he does not understand why we are killing
ourselves to develop some good quality project for free when some really
wealthy companies like Oracle simply ignore some part of the RFCs...
That's it. Justice for him : it's not funny to have to 'pollute' ADS
just because the others !
> The open source is famous for circumventing various obstacles imposed
> by commercial vendors - Oracle including.

because you can't count on those big companies to have the agility of
OSS developpers :)

That being said, we totally understand that you have to deal with OID,
it's probably even not your choice, and we will try to find some time to
introduce the OID compatibility, but you have to know that it's not an
easy fix, and it will take time (maybe months)

Of course, if Oracle want to pay us to develop the fix ASAP, np at all :
we are all reachable through the mailing list ;)

Hope it helps !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com