directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheDS 1.2 underscore in attrib name problem
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:10:29 GMT
Hi Martin,

Martynas Brijunas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came across a proble today and not sure if this is a feature, or a bug.
>
> I am using DS to connect to our Oracle OID server. Running a search,
> getting the results I expect to get. The problem starts when I want to
> select which attributes to display. If I want to display "user_id",
> the DS transforms that into 2 separate attributes - "user" and "id",
> none of which exist.

I checked the code. The text you insert into the input field is splitted
on charcters that are not alphanumeric, dash '-', dot '.' or semicolon
';'. The reason is that according to RFC 4512 these are the valid
characters an attribute name may consist of. So your 'user_id' attribute
contains an invalid character, the underscore.

So to answer your question: If we are strict to the RFC standard it is
an OID-bug. However it makes sense to relax this rule a bit, could you
please file an Jira?

BTW: I already realized that the OID server comes with some attributes
that contain such underscores. This makes us some problems as the schema
parser doesn't handle that atm.

Regards,
Stefan