directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NPE during directory search
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:47:08 GMT
Tanja Ertl wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> We found the problem: It was caused by a ldif file containing groups with a member attribute
with an empty string:

> dn: cn=emptyGroup,ou=users,dc=example, dc=com
> objectClass: groupOfNames
> objectClass: top
> cn: emptyGroup
> member:
>
> During startup, the file was loaded and the groups were created without complaining.
But as soon as ApacheDS was restarted for the first time, it started to throw the NPEs.

> We have eliminated that groups now and the NPE is gone.

Interesting report. I will create a unit test from this sample, and try
to eliminate the NPE by fixing the creation of an empty member.

The problem I had with the previous report was that I wasn't able to
reprofuce this behaviour by injecting empry attributes, because they
were rejected by JNDI, and ironing the encoder to avoid a NPE would have
lead to some other errors.

Many thanks !

PS : Can you fill a JIRA so that we don't forget to fix this issue ?
> Bye,
> Tanja

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny