directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] pound sign in dn not working
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:21:21 GMT
Hammond, Steve wrote:
> I am on the trunk of 1.5 (almost 1.5.3?)  and I have created my own
> partition that uses SQL Server as the back end.
> When I create a dn of groupid=#g1,ou=local,ou=users,ou=rm  it throws out
> of LdapDN.normalize.
Plain normal. Using # without escaping is accepted only for hex values.
'g' is valid in base 17, not 16 :)
>  I have the # escaped (groupid=\#g1) but when it
> calls rdn.getUpValue in LdapDN.oidNormalize, it returns "#g1" the
> backslash is gone, so 3 lines later when it does
> DefalutStringNormalizer.normalizeString it sees the # at the front and
> assumes the g1 is hex, and decodes it to a strange character that can't
> be normalized and throws at
> ize(
There may be a bug in the way the getUpValue returns the value (ie,
without escaping the #), which has to be doubled checked. A piece of
code exhibiting the bad behaviour would save me time :)

> I did not enter this as a bug, as it is very possible that I am not
> creating an rdn value starting with a # correctly.  Do I need to escape
> it out as hex or something weird like that?
groupid=\#g1 is supposed to be valid. Now, as this seems to be a filter,
there is another option : the filter's parser is different from the RDN
parser, so the bug may lay in a different place.

I think it's a good idea to fill a JIRA !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message