directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Release] corrupting Windows when uninstalling!
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:21:08 GMT
Hi Mathijs,

I was able to reproduce your problem. We already have a similar bug
report in our issue tracker and I added your problem to it:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1175

Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience. I hope you just
crashed a test system, not your work system ;-)

Regards,
Stefan

Groot, Mathijs de (IDT Competence Java) schrieb:
> Last 3 mails were unable to be delivered.
>
> [screenshot left out, last 3mails were unable to be delivered with this
> screenshot]
>

> [ApacheDS] [Release] corrupting Windows when uninstalling!
>
> Dear ApacheDS community / developers,
>
> I'm currently looking into the LDAP services and possibilities trying to
> find a suitable product for your current project.
>
> But I'm really not amused with the result of the de-installation of
> ApacheDS 1.5.2!
>
> I was told to look into ApacheDS because it's a preferred product and a
> well know name for a open source LDAP directory service.
>
> First I'll explain the problem I encountered with uninstalling ApacheDS,
> then my system details followed by a summary of my project context.
>
> I was trying some things with ApacheDS, installing the 1.5.2 version and
> the ApacheDS studio 1.1.0
> I encountered many problems with learning about LDAP and the ApacheDS
> server, mainly because the current basic guide does not math with the
> configuration files of ApacheDS 1.5.2...
> So I decided to install ApacheDS 1.0.2, this version was better in line
> with the guides provided online, so this went so far so good.
> With the great organization structure I have to implement in an LDAP
> server, where none of the different branches have any  authorization of
> relationship with other branches is decided to install a second ApacheDS
> server 1.5.2 with a other path in the program file folder, hereby I was
> trying to create and second ApacheDS Windows service where I could
> implement a second organizational structure.
> (It didn't work this way unfortunately )
>
> When I wasn't pleased with the current configuration and content of the
> ApacheDS servers I decided to uninstall and reinstall the instances.
>
> But when this was completed, Windows was corrupted and wasn't able to
> boot anymore.
> I was basically unable to use my system anymore!
>
> I did some research into this problem, with the result that I had to
> reinstalling two systems, but found the problem.
>
> Step by step:
>
> -          Installing ApacheDS 1.0.2
>
> -          Installing ApacheDS studio 1.1.0
>
> -          Installing ApacheDS 1.5.2
>
> -          Installing ApacheDS 1.5.2 with a different program file
> folder name
>
> -          Uninstalling the ApacheDS 1.5.2 server with the different
> folder name
>
> -          Deleting this folder from the program files folder
>
> -          Uninstalling the first ApacheDS 1.5.2 server
>

> Result:
>
> -          Windows unable to boot
>
> -          ntldr missing (NT Loader, this will run after the Master Boot
> Record to locate your operating system)
>
> -          ntdetect.com missing
>
> this is based on the test I've run the past days (I don't draw quick
> conclusions)
> and see the following screenshot:
> [...]
It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.
and inform the sender. Thank you.