directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache DS Backup/Restore
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 01:57:43 GMT
Eventually the change log and snap shotting capability will be the best
option for backups since it's just a record of LDIFs representing the
operations which took place.  Personally I don't like this because when
restoring you whip out who did what because you'll import the LDIF backup
probably as the admin user.  This can be corrected using a special session
control to allow the server to add-ldif-as the user responsible for the
change.

Another option is to expose an extended operation which locks out writes
while copying the master table to a backup folder which can be archived.  We
can even use a stored procedure triggered by the quartz schedular to do this
in addition to exposing the extended operation for external triggering of
backups.  We have many other choices including the LDIF export and import
method above.

Question is which one is the best option?  To answer that we need to
understand user requirements.

Alex