directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestions for ApacheDS 1.5.x and Mac OS X installer
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 18:02:26 GMT
Hi Rich,

thanks for this mil. I will not reply on the Mac installer pbs you are
mentionning, others will do. I just want to give you some insingths
abouut some of your questions.

1) Server.xml
>    * The server.xml syntax changed between 1.5.1 and 1.5.2.  This seems
>      like a deviation from the version numbering policies at Apache,
>      but I could be wrong.
There is nothing such as a Apache policy for versioning, for the record.
We have had long discussions two years ago about ApacheDS versioning
policy, and came with these policies :
- we have a X.Y.Z number scheme
- X.0.Z means stable version. ie, versions where functionalities are not
added, where data stored into the backend are binary compatible, and
where the configuration files are compatible.
- X.5.Z are unstable versions, ie version which are subject to changes,
including configuration files.
- 0.Z are for bug fixes
- 5.Z are for functional additions, and of course bug fixes.
- when X.5.Z is ready, the next version is (X+1).0.0

So in our case, the 5 means : 'in between X and X+1 version'. Half
backed server :). I understand that the site does not clearly state that...

> FYI, I have since gone back to version 1.0.2 and have had far fewer
> issues.  I know these things will get resolved in future versions, but
> I am guessing that more than a few people are getting a "less than
> good" taste in their mouths after trying out the latest versions.
This is a risk we took. 1.0 is now two years old (barely), and 2.0 is at
least 3 months far from being out. You have to know that ADS is a pretty
big piece of code (around 400 000 slocs), and it takes a huge amount of
time to make it working, fast, compliant and powerfull. The current 1.5
version is running 5 times faster than the 1.0, with far less LDAP
issues, and with a far better internal structure. Documentation is also
lacking for the very same reason : people are reluctant to document a
moving target...
> Finally, I am not sure I would have the most prominent ApacheDS link
> (on the home page) pointing to version 1.5.x at this point.  That
> should be for those willing to tolerate code that is ready for prime
> time IMHO.
You may be right.

Last, not least, remember that it's a volunteer based project, and we
are not that many working on it ! Any contribution is very welcome !

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com