directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: apacheds sudden death
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 13:01:45 GMT
Hi,

Jeroen Vriesman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday my apacheds crashed,
1.5.2 ?
> when trying to start it again, the I get the
> following error in the log:

I'm afraid that your schema partition is in bad shape...

> Which doesn't mean anything to me, I can just see that it starts with
> schema, I did import some custom schema's, created with directory studio
> from openldap schema's, these schema's didn't give any error in studio, and
> have been working for about one week, no schema changes yesterday.
>
> Just before the crash I can see this in the log (which is also too cryptic
> for me):
>
> [16:40:06] ERROR [org.apache.directory.server.ldap.support.UnbindHandler] -
> failed to unbind session properly

This is a known error which has been fixed in 1.5.2 (hopefully).

> any idea why this is happening?

What were you doing when the server crashed ?

Otherwise, I guess that you can't anymore start the server again. You
will have to destroy the schema partition file, restart the server, and
reinject the new schema.

We have added what we called a changeLog which save every modification
to the server, in order to get it repaired when it crashed (for any
reason, like a power failure). It's not yet totally functionnal, so in
the meantime, I suggest that you export your data as a LDIF file to get
a backup.

Sorry for the inconvenience, the server is still under heavy work to
make it more stable and reliable, but it's a long term work.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org