directory-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DSM CD)" <Martin.Schust...@infineon.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] I had a /root, but Apache ated it
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 12:19:35 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Ouch!... Sorry about that...
>
> Thanks for reporting. You're the first one to have this kind of error.
>
> Could you please give us more information on your system?

This is a Gentoo-box, but I think this is not related to the problem.

The problem seems to come from the fact that the installer uses
tail -n +239 $0 > $archiveName
but $0 is  "-su"  when the installer is called with
. /path/to/installer
after having used su to change to the root user.

(of course, calling it that way was a stupid mistake on my side).

Now the tail command fails, thus the untarring fails, so there is no "sh"
directory, which leads to awful things when you are in e.g. /opt:

cd sh                 <-- does not work
. ./install.sh        <-- does not work (unless there already is an install.sh
                                         which would lead to strange effects)
# Cleaning
cd ..                 <-- this _DOES_ work -- I'm now in /
rm -rf sh             <-- does not work, unless there is an directory "sh"
rm -rd root           <-- eats my $HOME

You should definitely put some    || exit
stuff in the installer :)

hth
--
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1@infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster