directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache DS Backup/Restore
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 06:12:34 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Eventually the change log and snap shotting capability will be the best
> option for backups since it's just a record of LDIFs representing the
> operations which took place.  Personally I don't like this because when
> restoring you whip out who did what because you'll import the LDIF backup
> probably as the admin user.  This can be corrected using a special session
> control to allow the server to add-ldif-as the user responsible for the
> change.
>
> Another option is to expose an extended operation which locks out writes
> while copying the master table to a backup folder which can be archived.
I like this option. It can be easily added, and triggered from the CL or
from Studio.

It would also deal with special cases like replacing a branch by
restoring the previous data (ie, removing all the value from a tree
starting at a position instead of just injecting some data keeping the
existing one).
>  We
> can even use a stored procedure triggered by the quartz schedular to do this
> in addition to exposing the extended operation for external triggering of
> backups.  We have many other choices including the LDIF export and import
> method above.
>
> Question is which one is the best option?  To answer that we need to
> understand user requirements.

We have to work on such a feature in any case, because
importing/exporting a LDIF file is too expensive, if you have millions
of entries.

We also have to think about a system which can bypass all the
Interceptors and deal directly with the backend files, in order to be as
fast as possible.

Make me think that in some case, we might want to export only a part of
the tree, and restore only a part of a tree, a little bit like RSync does.

Thanks Alex !
> Alex
>
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>> David R Robison wrote:
>>

>>> I am new to Apache Directory... Is there a convenient way to
>>> backup/restore data in the directory? TNX David
>>>
>>>  The most convenient way is to export the data as a LDIF file. This can
>>>
>> be done easily with Apache Directory Studio.
>>
>> The very same for data restoration.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> cordialement, regards,