directory-users mailing list archives

From ossi petz <ossip...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Apache DS Deb installer - Testers needed
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:27:53 GMT
Hallo

i tested to install and start apacheDS on debian etch (minimal netinst
with sun jdk 1.5)

dpkg -i apacheds-debian-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.deb
was pretty fast (1-2 seconds)

i had to add JAVA_HOME and PATH vars for root (since normally root is
not used)
export JAVE_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk-1.5
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

using the init.d script to start apacheDS then worked. (also status and
stop work)

a few comments / questions:
  - the log file ends up in /opt/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/bin/wrapper.log
    is there another log file somewhere else?

  - is there some test-suite to verify its more than running but also
    working?

  - is the fact the root user is used related to the port? ports below
    1000 need root permissions. but i remember there are some tomcat
    faq on running tomcat on port 80 without the root user.

hope this helped somehow :)
regards

ossi