directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating from Oracle Internet Directory
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:20:47 GMT
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > Hi Salvio,
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Salvio Sergi <ssergi@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Guys,
> >>
> >> is it possible to migrate from Oracle Internet Directory to Apache
> >> Directory Server?
> >>

> > Should be possible sure.  I think OID is not as bad as going from AD to
> > ApacheDS.  Has been a while since I looked at OID though.  Should be
> pretty
> > straight forward from what  I can remember.  Just give it a try and move
> > your schema over and see.  LDAP is LDAP (unless you're talking AD) and
> in
> > theory it should work.
> >
> Yes, this is definitively possible, but this will require some work, for
> sure. Basically, as I said in another mail, you will have to :
> - convert the schema from OID to ADS/OpenLDAP format
> - export/import the data (easy: LDIF)
> - check the syntaxCheckers and comparators used in OID, eventually write
> the same in ADS.

This presumes you want all Oracle specific schema elements.  He just wants
to move his application specific schema which many just be using a few
elements.  This is not at all so monumental a task.  Most likely the
matchingRules and syntaxes already exist and it's just a matter of creating
the objectClasses and attributeTypes which can be done immediately.

We have everything in place even to do this dynamically by adding these
schema elements even without stopping the server.

I have to write more user level information about the dynamic schema
subsystem.  I should have done this after writing it and we're paying for
that since not many people know what this thing can do.

Alex