directory-users mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Apache DS Linux binary installer - Testers needed
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:19:01 GMT
Hi Pierre-Arnaud

> You can launch the installer like a classic executable file:
> $ ./apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin
>
> The installer will ask you four questions:
>
>    - Do you agree to the above license terms?
>    - Where do you want to install Apache DS?
>    - Where do you want to install Apache DS instances?
>    - What name do you want for the default instance?
>
> There will be default values for the three last ones (for easy install).

I'd add a note in the end to make the user aware, that by default
ApacheDS will be run as user root (or add a new question 5th question
about the user ApacheDS shall run under - which must be created if not
yet existing).
Not every user is aware of the fact that in common services should not
be run as user root because of security reason.

The installation work well, I could start the app and didn't get
anything in the log directory. So I suppose that it wotked well.

Regards
Felix