directory-users mailing list archives

From ossi petz <ossip...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Feedback needed] ADS pros and cons ?
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:03:19 GMT
Hallo everyone!

i was happy getting ldap, hearing about kerberos is even better :)

i did not want to draw the active directory replacement picture.
actually using exchange, windows clients, sharepoint... there is a need
for an active directory when using windows. just for easy living.

what we encountered: we need the same ldap structure at different
locations that do not only contain the users with windows logins. we
have a custom made CRM and sometimes someone turns from 'interested'
into 'customer'. so he will need a useraccount in different tools.
currently this is all done manually.

my vision was: sync apacheDS with actice directory. from there use the
wiki, the dms, the crm and so on with apacheDS. and then mirror it to
the other company sites or the cms / forum.

the only thing all tools have in common is ldap authentication. and
accessing apacheDS for java people looks much more promising than using
active directory as the master (which cannot be easily deployed with
java apps too)

and well it all looks blody complicated. makes it interesting somehow.

well. thanks for paying attention :)

regards

ossi