directory-users mailing list archives

From "Siva Kumar" <siva.ku...@onrelay.com>
Subject RE: Motivation of moving from OpenLDAP to ApacheDS WAS: Searching takes unrealistic time.
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:05:27 GMT

The main problem often with OpenLDAP is the data corruption upon abrupt system restarts. We
end up running the recovery scripts quit often. Also the slurpd data replication proves complicated
to maintain. I am using OpenLDAP on the windows platforms. :-(

I fancy the ApacheDS replication, tolerance to abrupt restarts.
Also the stored procedures.

Thanks,
Siva.

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lecharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: 24 January 2008 15:43
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: Motivation of moving from OpenLDAP to ApacheDS WAS: Searching takes unrealistic
time.

Michael Decker wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> I'm sorry that I can't help you.
>
> But it would be intresting for me what your motivation to move to
> ApacheDS from OpenLDAP, because I wonder, if it would be chance to use
> OpenLdap instead of ApacheDS because of all their tools and scripts.

I don't know about Siva motivations, but I can see some use cases for someone wanting to move
from OpenLdap to ADS :
- ADS can be embedded into a Java application, OpenLdap can't
- ADS offers StoredProcedures and triggers, OpenLdap  don't
- ADS contains a Kerberos Server, OpenLdap is just a pure Ldap Server

Now, whether  you want to switch or not, I have to say that OpenLdap is an incredible piece
of software, reliable, production ready, fast, and well supported.

So it's up to you. Test it, and use it if it fits your need. We don't claim to be better than
OpenLdap, we are just another Open Source Ldap server !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org