directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Motivation of moving from OpenLDAP to ApacheDS WAS: Searching takes unrealistic time.
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:42:35 GMT
Michael Decker wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> I'm sorry that I can't help you.
>
> But it would be intresting for me what your motivation to move to ApacheDS
> from OpenLDAP, because I wonder, if it would be chance to use OpenLdap
> instead of ApacheDS because of all their tools and scripts.

I don't know about Siva motivations, but I can see some use cases for
someone wanting to move from OpenLdap to ADS :
- ADS can be embedded into a Java application, OpenLdap can't
- ADS offers StoredProcedures and triggers, OpenLdap  don't
- ADS contains a Kerberos Server, OpenLdap is just a pure Ldap Server

Now, whether  you want to switch or not, I have to say that OpenLdap is
an incredible piece of software, reliable, production ready, fast, and
well supported.

So it's up to you. Test it, and use it if it fits your need. We don't
claim to be better than OpenLdap, we are just another Open Source Ldap
server !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com