directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Feedback needed] ADS pros and cons ?
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:35:00 GMT
Hi Denis !

> My fault, I have only been looking at the ldap part of apache
> directory...
No problem at all ! At least, it demonstrates that we need to improve a
lot the documentation :)

> I defininitly shall try the kerberos/dns/dhcp part of ApacheDS.
> Currently I'm using heimdal, bind and isc dhcp server on ldap backend
> (openldap), and looking for better solution, that's why I'm following
> this list. I didn't realized I could already get all of it bundled in
> ApacheDS! I'll try to accomodate for a few hours to roll out a test
> bench.
Don't blame me if you have problems while doing such an experiment ;)
This is a very early bird, and it needs a lot of work to be able to use
it smoothly... Any feedback will help, of course !

>> And when it comes to LDAP server compliance, please just read this :
>> http://www.symas.com/documents/Adam-Eval1-0.pdf
>>
>> So we think that ADS could stands for an active directory
>> replacement. Even if you just need the ldap part.
>
> Sorry I think I misrepresented my point. I don't claim that ActiveDS
> is a good, bad or better LDAP server. I just wanted to point out that
> ActiveDS is not just an ldap server.
I dodn't want to say that AD is a bad piece of techno either. I just
wanted to point to this very interesting paper written by our friends at
OpenLdap (which is a really good LDAP server btw!)

Anyway, replacing AD by another LDAP server is not that easy, if you
consider that AD is a major element of the Window$(tm) system.
> The fact that it is much more than an ldap server makes it one of the
> most difficult part of proprietary stuff to get out of a IT
> infrastructure... What a pain !
indeed :)

Thanks Denis !

cordialement, regards,