directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: [Feedback needed] ADS pros and cons ?
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:00:12 GMT
Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi Ossi,
>> 1) we currently use ADS for experiments, we plan to replace MS Active
>> Directory Server with a more open LDAP Server
> actually Active Directory is more than just a ldap server. It bundles
> a customified ldap server, a kerberos server, a dns server, and some
> ms rpc stuff. So apache directory server could not, by itself stands
> for an active directory replacement (unless the only thing you need is
> the ldap part).
Actually Apache Directory Server is more than just a ldap server too. It
bundles a *standard and compliant* ldap server
a kerberos server, a dns server, a NTP server, a DHCP server, a SSO
solution (TripleSec) and a tool (Apache DirectoryStudio) which can't be
compared to LDP, because it would like comparing M$ Word (tm) to M$

And when it comes to LDAP server compliance, please just read this :

So we think that ADS could stands for an active directory replacement.
Even if you just need the ldap part.

*But*, because nothing is perfect, it has to be documented, tested,
fixed, etc. We need volunteers for that.
> Open source projects are getting close to a replacement of ActiveDS,
> and bundling ApacheDS + Samba4alpha3 + Bind/sdb_ldap should almost do
> the trick, however it is not yet very polished and might need some
> twicking.
I agree fully with the polishing and twicking needs !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message