directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Submit button in Directory Studio
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:47:07 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> One more use case we need such a functionality is when changing the
> objectclass of an entry and the new objectclass has additional required
> attributes.
>
> I have two ideas how to implement it:
>
> 1) a pause + a submit/commit + a rollback button. While paused all
> changes are recorded and on submit they are submitted to the directory
>
> 2) a pop-up dialog like the "New Entry" wizard.

I would like to propose a third idea, quite more complex but also really
powerfull. We discussed it many times with Pierre-Arnaud and Alex two
years ago, but it never get done.

What about embedding ADS into Studio? It will bring many advantages :
- direct access to the schema
- as we have some rollback interceptor in ADS, implementing a rollback
mechanism will be trivial
- you will be able to experiment on real data the impact of some schema
modification, before injecting the schema to the production server
- you can synchronize with more than one server as soon as ADS has some
replication mechanism whih can be used to update remote server
- everything you modify will be done offline until you inject the
changed elements to the production server
- last, ,ot least, you won't lose any modification, as it's local and
written on disk.

It should not be so complex to implement, IMO.

wdyt ?
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan

cordialement, regards,