directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting a clear text password from Apache DS 1.5.0
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:41:12 GMT
UdayaKiran Ala wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I'm using Apache Directory Server 1.5.0 for our application authentication.
>
>  I need to retrieve the cleartext password  (userPassword) by using JAVA API
>
>   Any idea?

It depends... If the password is stored as clear text into the server,
no problem (beside the huge security concern, of course !) : do a search
with (uid=<your user ID>) and get the userPassword attribute using JNDI.
If the password is encrypted using (S)SHA, (S)MD5 or crypt, there is no
way you can get the clear text from it.
>  Thanks in Advance,
>
> Regards
> UdayaKiran.Ala