directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Brief Enquiry: Transactions Support and Standalone Studio for Apache DS
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:37:05 GMT
Daniel Ofori-Dankwa wrote:
> Greetings Directory Team,

Hi Daniel,
> Will be brief.
>
> 1. Does Apache DS support transactions (like in other dbms)?

Short answer : no. But Ldap transaction is totally a different thing
than RDBMS transactions. There is currently nothing really specified
regarding LDAP transaction, if you except this draft :
https://opends.dev.java.net/public/standards/draft-zeilenga-ldap-txn.txt

(which has been issued 4 months ago !)

However, we have implemented recently a rollback facility which could be
used to implement a transactionnal subsystem, assuming we add some
locking mechanism.
> 2. Any existing standalone studio or directory editor for Apache DS (without
> use of eclipse tool)?

Apache Directory Studio is a standalone editor. It's based on Eclipse
RCP, which does not mean you _have_ to launch eclipse to run the tool.
It comes in two forms :
- a standalone application
- a set of Eclipse plugins.

It's up to you to use one or the other.