directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Linking apacheDS with another LDAP server
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:03:47 GMT
I think there is also a referral chaining control out there somewhere or at
least some discussion about it.
With referrals you still have to chase the referral: one server tells you
that you have to contact another
server.  With this chaining control the original server you contacted (foo)
will go out and do the search for
the client on bar server.  The results are returned to your client as if all
the entries came from foo server.

I guess this is the silver bullet that you're looking for.  But some clients
like JNDI can automatically
chase referrals I think (don't quote me here) so your client code which uses
it does not have to have
this logic.  So Stefan's remarks below are right on the money.  In addition
just check to see if JNDI
can do automatic referral chasing for you.

Alex