directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging LDAP requests
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 02:38:10 GMT
On 10/8/07, Olivier Schmitt <schmitt@metaintegration.net> wrote:

> I am a new user of Apache Directory Server 1.5, and so far I love it!
> It is pretty easy to use and configure, and the Studio UI is nice too.

Cool beans!

Now, I am trying figure out why my business app cannot connect to it.
> In order to better understand what is going wrong, I would like to enable
> logging of LDAP requests coming into the server.

It should not matter but sometimes Windows does odd things with logging
so could you let us know if you're running on windows or not?

As recommended on the page
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/145-configure-logging.html
> I tinkered with the logging parameters, but could not find appropriate
> level
> of detail I am interested in, it would report either nothing, or a huge
> lot
> of things I cant make sense of.

Right you probably set the global log level and that just turned on
everything.

Is there a simple way to set the logging to display something like this?
> - LDAP server received BIND request (+details of bind request)
> - LDAP server received SEARCH request (+details or search request)

I would leave the global log level on WARN and add the following lines to
your
log4j.properties then tweak (comment out) them depending on what you're
interested
in:

log4j.logger.org.apache.directory.server.ldap=INFO
#General Frontend Handling
log4j.logger.org.apache.directory.server.ldap.support.bind=INFO
#For SASL binds
log4j.logger.org.apache.directory.server.ldap.support.BindHandler=INFO
#For Simple binds
log4j.logger.org.apache.directory.server.ldap.support.SearchHandler=INFO

There's more to it if you want to get into the internals.  I would first
write a simple
application and make sure you can connect to the server or just use Studio
to do
it to confirm it is configured properly and go from there.

HTH,
Alex