directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS 1.5.1] unable to search for uniqueMember
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:46:32 GMT

> Again, doing a seach with (uniqueMember=uid*) is _not_ allowed by the
> LDAP specification. At best, you should get an empty list.
>
> Substring search are valid for strings. A DN is not as string.

This is hard to believe although I totally follow your reasoning.  It just
seems like a very
common search to be performing to determine group membership.  DN's btw do
have a
string representation defined in RFC's so I don't understand why the
matching would
not be conducted on the string representation.

Also note that you cannot construct a DN with name components using
attributeTypes
that do not have support for equality matching.  I don't think the same
applies for substring
matching.

I'm afraid we may be quickly coming to the wrong conclusions on this topic.
Perhaps
we're lacking some additional knowledge.  Perhaps we can post some questions
on the
umich LDAP mailing list to get to the bottom of this.

Alex