directory-users mailing list archives

From Douglas Atique <tellmebout-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS as the backend for OSGi R4 UserAdmin service
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:38:21 GMT
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.
In fact, I don't mind waiting a few months. For now I am only assessing what's available.

By the way, if you are directly involved in this development perhaps you wouldn't mind helping
me understand how it works. I think this is the most important point for me right now, so
if you could give me a little bit of insight into what you are doing, I would be most grateful.

I am completely newbie to LDAP and I can't figure out how LDAP, with extensible schemas which
theoretically could be customized in a different way for each single ApacheDS deployment in
the world, is to be tied to a specific role-user-group-permission model such as the one prescribed
by UserAdmin, or the configuration information model defined by ConfigurationAdmin.

In short, how do you map OSGi concepts onto LDAP concepts (or vice-versa)?

Regards,
Douglas

Chris Custine <ccustine@apache.org> wrote: I don't think this was ever released but
it could still be in SVN
somewhere.  We are resurrecting the OSGi effort for Apache Directory Server
2.0 but I think we are going to start from scratch and do it as a team so
that we can all learn and support the effort.

Aside from this, I am also just starting to work on implementing
Configuration Admin, User Admin, and possibly some other OSGi services on
top of Apache Directory as both local and remote services.  Unfortunately
you are probably a few months to early to benefit from any of these efforts,
so keep watching and maybe we will have something in Q1 next year that may
be of benefit to you.

Thanks,
Chris