directory-users mailing list archives

From Markus Pohle <apacheds.us...@webunity.de>
Subject [ApacheDS 1.5.1] try to start default partition on Linux with port 389
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:09:24 GMT

Hi List Member,

I installed ApacheDS in Version 1.5.1 on Linux (CentOS 4.3) with Sun
JDK in Version 1.5.0_10. I used the rpm package to install ApacheDS.

Right after installation I configured the server.xml for the default
partition, that can be found under the following path:
/var/lib/apacheds/default/conf/

I configured my own partition and switched the ldap port from 10389 to
389 and then tried to start ApacheDS with this command:
[root@apacheds2 conf]# /etc/init.d/apacheds start default
Starting Apache Directory Server - default...

What I get is this in the logfiles under /var/log/apacheds/default
[17:02:23] ERROR
[org.apache.directory.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory] - Failed to
bind an LDAP service (389) to the service registry.
java.net.SocketException: Permission denied
         at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
         at
sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:119)
         at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:59)
         at
org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketAcceptor.registerNew(SocketAcceptor.java:365)
         at
org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketAcceptor.access$900(SocketAcceptor.java:55)
         at
org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketAcceptor$Worker.run(SocketAcceptor.java:224)
         at
org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:39)
         at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:650)
         at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
[17:02:23] ERROR [org.apache.directory.daemon.Bootstrapper] - Failed
on null.init(InstallationLayout, String[])
org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.exception.LdapConfigurationException:
Failed to bind an LDAP service (389) to the service registry. [Root
exception is java.n
et.SocketException: Permission denied]
         at
org.apache.directory.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.startLDAP0(ServerContextFactory.java:577)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.startLDAP(ServerContextFactory.java:511)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.afterStartup(ServerContextFactory.java:306)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.DefaultDirectoryService.startup(DefaultDirectoryService.java:266)
         at
org.apache.directory.server.core.jndi.AbstractContextFactory.getInitialContext(AbstractContextFactory.java:124)

I think (or better I am sure) this is because all ports lower than
1024 behave to the root user and the script from /etc/init.d/apacheds
tries to start the default partition als apacheds user - and this user
is not allowed to bind port 389.

Can anybody please help me with that?
TIA
Markus Pohle