directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Unrequested attributes returned on ldap search
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:21:39 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> This is a clear client bug. The client just add an empty attribute at
> the end of the attributes list :
>     30 06   // Attributes list
>       04 02 // 2 chars length attribute
>         sn   // sn is requested
>       04 00 // 0 length attribute.
>
> In this very case, we are 'interpreting the spec by considering that
> asking for an empty attribute means we want all the attributes ("*")
> (nothing in the RFC states that if we have an empty attribute we
> should discard it, but if the list is itself empty, then it should be
> considered as '*'. I added a special case : if one attribute is empty,
> then it is considered as if the user injected a '*').

You definitely breathe the byte streams ;-)

Nevertheless I would recommend to raise a JIRA, I'll assign it to me.
Later on I'll check all relevant LDAP servers, and see how they
interpret this. And I will check whether this is a general Java SDK
problem. If so, it is relevant.

I don't think that migrating to a newer version of the SDK would help
our users. If this is a problem related to the SDK (and not the
LDAPSearch client of the SDK) we should consider to change the behavior,
at least if all other servers behave differently.

We can still mark it as "invalid", but we have documented our decision
and the behavior in case others face the same problem.

What do you think?