directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Unrequested attributes returned on ldap search
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:49:10 GMT
Hi Ricardo!

I can reproduce this error with a ApacheDS 1.0.3 SNAPSHOT.
But it seems to be related to either the Java-Version of the Search-Tool
or the LDAP library from Sun/Netscape itself.

Here is what happens in my environment (Windows XP and Java 6 as well)

Native client from Sun ONE works fine:

$ ldapsearch -h localhost -p 10389 -b "dc=example,dc=com" -D
"uid=admin,ou=system" -w secret "(cn=Tori*)" sn
version: 1
dn: cn=Tori Amos,dc=example,dc=com

But with tools (implemented in Java) from Sun ONE Directory SDK for Java
4.1 (which you use)

$ java -cp ../packages/ldapjdk.jar LDAPSearch -h localhost -p 10389 -D
"uid=admin,ou=system" -w secret -b "dc=example,dc=com" ("cn=Tori*") sn

dn: cn=Tori Amos,dc=example,dc=com
sn: Amos
userpassword: geheim
cn: Tori Amos
objectClass: person

(wrong)

We definitely have to figure out what happens, but due to the fact, that
it is probably not a general problem, it can wait until next week, when
the release is cut.

It would be therefore great if you can file a JIRA issue for us here:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER

We have to investigate why this happens with this particular client.

In the meantime I would recommend as a workaround to not using this
client. The native versions from Sun and Netscape seem not to have this
problem.

I use Sun ONE Directory SDK for C 5.08, which contains the ldapsearch
command in the tools folder as well (ldapsearch.exe). It is the one from
the two examples above which works with our server ;-)

Another option would be a UI tool like Directory Studio
http://directory.apache.org/studio/

Thanks in advance and feel free to ask if you have more problems and
questions,

Stefan

Ricardo Chicca Junior wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The data requested:
>
> ApacheDS 1.0.2
>
> Java version 1.6.0.02-b06
>
> Windows XP SP2
>
> LDAPSEARCH Tolls from (both with the same results):
>
>          LDAP SUN SDK4.1   and
>
>          Netscape Directory SDK for java
>

> As already commented, using a Netscape Directory server in the same environment the results
are as expected.

> Bellow I've inserted  a small part of an ApacheDS log with the DEBUB option set.  Please
note that a "*" was inserted in the attribute list of the search requested. I don't know from
where it came from.