Security is a myth :) even with one way algorythm. This is a bit more secure but with time hack is always possible. What you can do is delaying hacker success. What you can do is monitoring what hackers are doing to detect the attack.

With ApacheDS you can replace authentication provider then you can monitor password detection here. Is it possible to change search engine?

Stevens

Inactive hide details for Hans <hmlhdr@gmail.com>Hans <hmlhdr@gmail.com>

          Hans <hmlhdr@gmail.com>

          09.07.2007 16:30
          Veuillez répondre à
          users@directory.apache.org

users@directory.apache.org

cc

Objet

Re: HI

Hi

> hopefully, there is no way to get the password from its encrypted form
> : this would be a major security breach !

Well actually there is, but you need to do some guesswork ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_table
http://www.antsight.com/zsl/rainbowcrack/
http://rainbowtables.shmoo.com/

Don't know if the password hash in ApacheDS is salted, though.

The password hash should not be possible to extract or query by other
means
than backup, not through a query.

If you are allowed to do a search like
$ ldapsearch -b o=some.root -s sub 'userPassword="{md5}
b4b5835f03bd6748e0cc25790d6f3498"' dn
it would render you all objects with the attribute userPassword equal to
"the secret password", which may not be such a good idea.

iPlanet DS 4.x allowed searches on ueserPassword attribute with
directory manager privs
I found out. Have not tested if this works with ApacheDS.

/h
---
Hans
mailto:hmlhdr@gmail.com

DISCLAIMER : This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted from the sender, are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. The contents do not represent the opinion of the sender except to the extent that it relates to their official business.