directory-users mailing list archives

From Tod <the.mail.lis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error reading children of base DN
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:01:03 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi Tod!
>
>> I'm getting an error reading the children entries against a Lotus
>> Domino server.  I understand the reason for the error, but I'm having
>> trouble finding the offending entry.  Is there some debug method I can
>> use to track it down?
>>

> You might want to give us more information in order to get help. Am I
> right that you use Lotus Domino as your LDAP server? What technology do
> you use to retrieve the entries (JNDI? Java at all?) etc. What does
> "offending entry" mean? If it is not compliant to the schema, why is it
> in your directory? You probably mean something else (but what?).

There is a Domino server that houses information in its NAB that is
important to our customer.  I can retrieve data using perl Net::LDAP
calls, as well as with C API calls.  I haven't tried JNDI but I
*suspect* similar results.

As I was trying out the LDAP Studio on other LDAP servers, I pointed it
to the Domino box to see if it would work.  When I tried to expand the
baseDn I got the following error "Error while reading entry Empty
Attribute is not allowed!".

I don't profess the virtues of Domino's (or ADS's) compliance with LDAP
schema standards, I am just tasked in dealing with them :)

> Please note that this is a mailing list primarily for users of Apache
> Directory software (like ApacheDS, Directory Studio ...). If you
> questions related to IBM products, this is likely not the right place to
> ask.

I understand the error above but I need more information to track down
the entry(ies) causing that error.  It would be helpful if there was a
way to get more details from LDAP Studio so that I could discover the
problem with the directory and remove it, hence my post.

Incidentally, I just tried this on ADS and I get a "Error while reading
entry, Unprocessed Continuation Reference(s)" error when trying to
expand its baseDn.  That's probably better saved for a separate thread...

Thanks - Tod