directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] appropriate for enterprise application with self registration
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:23:06 GMT
I think we talked about this a little bit with Peter Neubauer.

I think we are looking for an application that will allow users to change
their own
passwords, or reset them if they forget them.  For example a user may
register
with the self service application which creates an account for them on the
LDAP
server.  In the process the user enters their email address and perhaps the
answer to a question which they only know the answer to.  If the forget
their
password and need a reset they can go into the self service application and
request a reset which will ask them the answer to this question.

Some self service apps will send email to the user with a temp password and
reset this temp password so the user can then log in and change their old
temp
password.  Others may present a special URL with a key encoded in it
generated
to only allow them to change their password using that key for the next 30
minutes.  This URL is mailed to the user's email account etc.

I think we have a need for such tools here.  It would be nice to have a
little
project dedicated to performing these self service applications.  It would
be a
simple web app that we can add to as users needs increase.  Also we can
embed it into ApacheDS optionally if the web server is enabled on ApacheDS.

/me ducks as he suggests this is the start to AD web studio :)

Alex