directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: Alternate back-ends
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:11:37 GMT
Hi Dan,

On 6/5/07, Barber, Dan (Contractor) <Dan.Barber@polycom.com> wrote:

> Emmanuel,
>
> I finally got the build working. I can confirm that ApacheDS does not
> currently build with Java 1.6. I ended up cleaning up everything again,
> uninstalling all Javas, and starting over from the beginning. With 1.5ApacheDS source
built just fine. Did the same thing with
> 1.6 and it didn't build.
>
> Ok, so I've got the source building. Now, what can you point me to for
> figuring out how to support a different database backend?

First you should have a look at the Partition interface.  You're custom
partition implementation
will need to implement the methods in this interface.

While looking at this you'll need to ask yourself how you will be storing
the data within
the database.  There a two options:

(1) create a generalized RDBMS schema for storing LDAP entries
(2) serve out the data within an existing RDBMS schema for some application
as LDAP entries

In the 1st case this is easy to do and we can help you out with that.
However I think
this may not be what you're interested in.  But if you do build this it
would be easy to
create a JDBCPartition which can essentially use any RDBMS to store this
information.
We just need a way to create the tables that would need to be defined in
each db type.
This should be easy to do programmatically with the libs that already exist
out there.

In the second case you need to consider which tables will be used and how
they will
be queried (joined) to produce entries and how these entries are exposed in
the LDAP
namespace: meaning how they are structured in the hierarchy.  Another thing
you'll
need to do is create or map the RDBMS schema to an LDAP schema for the
entries
you will serve out.

HTH,
Alex