directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Email validation and default groups
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 13:47:03 GMT
Hi Peter,

Do me a favor and just let me know which version of ApacheDS you're using
so I can best help you.  I'll try to answer some of your questions below
presuming
that you're using ApacheDS 1.5.0.

On 5/16/07, Peter Neubauer <peter.neubauer@jayway.se> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am trying to set up ADS with Crowd, SVN and Mailman. I have three
> issues I would like to solve:

Very cool ... btw did you know that Justin Stepka is integrating ApacheDS
with Crowd.  Perhaps some of the work he's doing could be combined with
your needs.

1. A system for signing up new users against ADS and changing
> passwords (I think Crowd is not yet supporting this, and I don't mind
> a separate page/application to handle LDAP users and profiles)

That's really easy to whip together but one does not exist at this point
in time.  You're talking about a simple self service web application I
think for users to manage their accounts.  If you're interested we could
build something here to do that quickly.  Would you like to work on
something like that with us?  We could have something up and running
within days I think.

Also we could build something like this into ApacheDS as an optional
service with Jetty so users can use this web app to manage their accounts.
Tim Bennett might also lend a hand so we can do this using Wicket.

2. ADS should only accept valid mail address strings as both username
> and email when trying to add a new user

That's easily done.   A custom syntax checker can be used
so ADS itself constrains these fields.  And/or we can make the
self service application do this too.

3. A new user should be automatically be added to some default groups

This can easily be done with ADS Triggers in 1.5.0.  We simply create a
AFTER ADD trigger on user entries and make it cal a Stored Procedures (SP)
which modifies group entries to add an additional member of attribute.

This can be achieved even without a restart.

Ersin perhaps you can lend us a hand to do this?

Is that achieveable from within ADS?

#3 and #2 is achievable out of the box with ADS 1.5.x.  #1 requires a web
application for password self service.

BTW for #1 it would be nice to have a special attribute for the answer to a
question
that only the user knows, like the name of their pet, to reset their
password etc.

Regards,
Alex