directory-users mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Email validation and default groups
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 17:04:39 GMT
> Hi Peter,
>
> Do me a favor and just let me know which version of ApacheDS you're using
> so I can best help you.  I'll try to answer some of your questions below
> presuming
> that you're using ApacheDS 1.5.0.
>
> On 5/16/07, Peter Neubauer <peter.neubauer@jayway.se> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> > I am trying to set up ADS with Crowd, SVN and Mailman. I have three
> > issues I would like to solve:
>

> Very cool ... btw did you know that Justin Stepka is integrating ApacheDS
> with Crowd.  Perhaps some of the work he's doing could be combined with
> your needs.
>
> 1. A system for signing up new users against ADS and changing
> > passwords (I think Crowd is not yet supporting this, and I don't mind
> > a separate page/application to handle LDAP users and profiles)
>

> That's really easy to whip together but one does not exist at this point
> in time.  You're talking about a simple self service web application I
> think for users to manage their accounts.  If you're interested we could
> build something here to do that quickly.  Would you like to work on
> something like that with us?  We could have something up and running
> within days I think.
>
> Also we could build something like this into ApacheDS as an optional
> service with Jetty so users can use this web app to manage their accounts.
> Tim Bennett might also lend a hand so we can do this using Wicket.
>
> 2. ADS should only accept valid mail address strings as both username
> > and email when trying to add a new user
>

> That's easily done.   A custom syntax checker can be used
> so ADS itself constrains these fields.  And/or we can make the
> self service application do this too.
>
> 3. A new user should be automatically be added to some default groups
>

> This can easily be done with ADS Triggers in 1.5.0.  We simply create a
> AFTER ADD trigger on user entries and make it cal a Stored Procedures (SP)
> which modifies group entries to add an additional member of attribute.
>
> This can be achieved even without a restart.
>
> Ersin perhaps you can lend us a hand to do this?

Yes, of course.

If it's possible let's see some code or document that can help us
better understand what needs to be done and then I can easily complete
the trigger plumbing to achieve the result. Although we would like
users themselves be able to use triggers with the tools we will
hopefully develop, it may be good to do a demonstration with a real
world case.

--
Ersin