directory-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <>
Subject Re: Email validation and default groups
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 13:50:00 GMT
Hi Peter..

On 5/16/07, Peter Neubauer <> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am trying to set up ADS with Crowd, SVN and Mailman. I have three
> issues I would like to solve:
> 1. A system for signing up new users against ADS and changing
> passwords (I think Crowd is not yet supporting this, and I don't mind
> a separate page/application to handle LDAP users and profiles)

You would definitely have to provide the front end part on your own at the

2. ADS should only accept valid mail address strings as both username
> and email when trying to add a new user

So IIUC, you want to accept only valid email address format for uid and mail
attributes, and maybe just collect the mail address and use it for uid by
default?  In any case, the standard inetorgperson schema mail and uid
attributes are strings so the format could be any valid string.  You could
implement either an interceptor or a trigger (new in 1.5) directly in ADS,
but my thinking is that if you are already building the front end for self
registration and maintenance, it might be a lot easier to just check the
syntax and validation rules there.

3. A new user should be automatically be added to some default groups

This type of action is definitely what triggers are going to be used for,
but 1.5 is just the first implementation and we don't have the tooling yet
to make this easy to implement and maintain. As with the answer for #2, it
is probably easier to do this from the front end at the moment and
automatically add the newly created entry to the default groups right after
it is created.

Like I said, you can definitely do these things from within ADS and if thats
the route you want to take we can help you do it if you are willing to spend
a little extra effort on it.  These tasks will be much easier to implement
in ADS in upcoming releases with some additional tooling and additional
trigger options.

Is that achieveable from within ADS?