directory-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Press] We need a minister of propaganda
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:47:00 GMT
Hi E!

> Hi,

SNIP

> We're not in the business of competing with others but just about having
> > fun.  However I get a bit irritated when people put down our project.
> > Someone recently told me that a high level person at SUN involved with
> > OpenDS said at a major conference that they're going to plow right over
> us
> > because we have no marketing behind our product or no roadmap.  I wonder
> > why
> > they made no mention of features instead to be the deciding factor :).
>

> may be they are scared ? Debunking is a common tactic when you feel like
> loosing  control ... We should not consider such a behavior really
> important. Critics are good to hear.

Oh yes ...  IMO OpenDS does more for ADS than any other project.  By SUN
deciding to abandon SUN DS and switch to a pure Java LDAP server they have
been the first company to validate ApacheDS as a concept which has been
around at least 4 years before OpenDS.

The
> > comments made were something to the effect of we're just having fun
> > building
> > it: which is true in that respect.  The product of a labor of love goes
> > much
> > further IMO than something you just get paid to do.  Anyways it does not
> > hurt to spread the word about ApacheDS, LS and Triplesec.
> >
> > We could post more on various mailing lists, forums like
> > freshmeat/slashdot,
> > TSS, ldapguru, wikipedia and other sites not to mention blogging about
> the
> > features we introduce into these products.  I think all of us in the
> > community have something we can do.  No one person can do it alone
> however
> > it would be nice to have someone thinking about and feeling out how we
> are
> > doing it and keeping tabs on this aspect of our project.  We don't
> really
> > have this kind of role at Apache however IMO I think it's a shortcoming.
> > Companies like SUN have dedicated paid personal focused specifically on
> > these aspects.  It's time for the role to emerge here.
>

> yes. And it deserve someone with good writing skills, but much more
> important is the know how.

Yes but the person does not need to know LDAP.  I know the marketing guys
are SUN and they barely know what LDAP stands for yet they're pushing the
product line.

So is anyone interested in volunteering to help us in these capacities?

> > (1) keep an eye on the pulse of Apache Directory products out there on
> the
> > Internet
> > (2) prodding us to blog more and spread the word more
> > (3) coming up with new ideas on how to increase Directory product uptake
> > (4) making sure every significant release has some press
> > (5) keep an eye out for new features introduced by other products that
> > will
> > be worth while in ours
> > (6) tracking AD product uptake by users and getting their feedback
>

> We currently have some info through google analytics :
> 17 000 visitors since mid-february,
> 1366 dowloads for LdapStudio
> 744 downloads for the LS plugin

Not bad.  What about ApacheDS and Tsec?  Let's focus on all Directory
Products.

Those numbers are good.

Oh yeah.

We also have some reports on some blogs :
> http://www.c-note.dk/2007/03/30/ldapbrowsers/
> (we didn't ask for this post, but, hem, I like it :
> "...Or you if you have eclipse installed already then you can add
> http://directory.apache.org/ldapstudio/update to software updates, and
> install it that way - even better as you then only will have one eclipse
> installed.
>
> This is almost too good to be true.")

Man this is soooooo awesome.  Let's compile these into a testimonials
section.

Another one in french : http://anothergeekwebsite.com/fr/2007/03/ldapstudio

I'd need a translation for that.

That make me think about one important point : we should also push ADS in
> France, Germany, Turkey, Korea, Australia, all over the planet :)

Excellent idea.  Let's use Ole's Help Wanted page idea to search for
volunteers.

Alex